June 29 Sarah Hicks

We started off the day with what felt to me like a long train ride to get to Tokorozawa High school, which I later found is the oldest high school in Tokorozawa hosting around 1,000 students total. Once we arrived and put on the slippers provided by the school, we proceeded to a lecture room where a notebook, fan, and folder were waiting for us at each seat. I could not help but chuckle at the sight of Andy’s large feet falling out of the too-small slippers. The sight of a Japanese flag crisscrossed with an American flag on the desk at the head of the room immediately caught my attention. This image struck me as very eerie and unfamiliar, as my perception of Japan most of my youth was that they were not a friend to the United States. I am so pleased that I was able to snap a picture of these two flags as it is a great representation of how much this trip has affected my view of foreign relations and their ties with their educational system. Once we sat down to begin our introduction to the high school, we were poured hot green tea to sip on during our time in that room. It was my first time ever trying green tea!

Just from the hour we spent in that room listening and asking questions to both the principle and vice principle, I learned so many new things about the Japanese high school system that I need time to organize and gather my thoughts on. The phrase that stuck with me the most was the principle’s informal motto about the school, “let the students have big dreams and high aspirations. We want students to be active worldwide.” I think this is such a beautiful statement and one that I think many educators could in the United States could use as the foundation of their teaching.

Due to sweet Madison not feeling well on the tour, we both got to see how well equipped their nurse’s office was! I was very impressed, as my high school nurse’s office was literally a closet in the main office. There were three full-time nurses and there were three to four infirmary like beds with curtains for privacy. I love that this school and other schools in Japan value the importance of student health, both physically and mentally.

Fun statistics I noted on this tour:
·      8% of the students go on to attend University
·      Physical Education, home economics, and swim classes are required
·      Students with mild to moderate disabilities go to a special day school, as the high school is not inclusive


Home Economics Class

No comments:

Post a Comment